27 September 2007

The Women's World Cup

You may not even know that it is going on, but England's women went out in the quarter-finals of the World Cup in China. They lost 3-0 to the Americans who were favourites for the tournament but have been comfortably beaten by Brazil in the semi-finals 4-0.

What has been interesting to me is the complete lack of coverage there has been. The BBC took the courageous decision to televise England matches live, and it's a pity that England didn't get to the semi's or final when there may have been a bit of a ground swell of support. I say "may have been" because it doesn't seem that anyone cares. Having watched the first 50 minutes of England's quarter-final I went to the pub expecting to watch the rest on the TV there. As I entered there was the reassuring noise of football supporters so I knew the football was on. Once I'd got a pint I turned round to realise that the game on the TV wasn't England v USA in a crucial World Cup quarter final, but Cardiff City v Preston North End! It amazes me that could possibly be deemed more important!

Not to worry, I thought, women's football is massive in America and they'll all be watching it. Apparently not. I met a football fan mate of mine who lives in America that evening and asked him if it was big the other side of the pond, to get the reply "what World Cup?" and then when I explained, "I don't think anyone knows it is going on mate". So it was also interesting to see the video on the right-hand side of the Brazil-USA match report called "the under-reported women's world cup".

Once again I am clearly in a minority, but why isn't women's football supported or thought to be important?

5 comments:

GROV said...

I have just got back from France and two of the many bars that I visited were showing the women's world cup as well as there being quite extensive coverage in L'Equipe. Incidentally, there was great support for the England rugby game last Saturday in yet another bar that I visited but only in the hope that they would lose!

Peter Lamb said...

I have watched some of the games and must admit I found them a bit tame. I suppose we are spoilt by seeing pretty intense men's football regularly on tv, but in the women's games the tackling seemed gentle and ladylike (not surprisingly), the pace seemed much slower and the standard of goalkeeping seemed very low. I'm trying desperately not to be patronising or chauvinistic, but frankly felt the standard was below men's Conference level (or whatever it's called now). I know the England team are all amateurs (unlike the USA) but I was still hoping for something better. Delighted to see the USA beaten by Brazil at any sport!

GROV said...

Watching Salisbury City at Conference level, I can assure you that women's football is way below that level both in terms of ability and physical presence. However women's football will be of interest to those who support football at all levels as you cannot dispute the competitive spirit - something that I often question in the Premiership.

Anonymous said...

I watched some of the england games as they were on the bbc website (not just an excuse to avoid work). I would agree the standard wasn't great (England vs. Argentina looked like women against girls) but still it was more enjoyable to watch than a number of premiership games I have watched where the two teams go out to stop the other playing.
I think the fact that the players are still amateur means it hasn't lost its innocence as a game and become all about the money like the premiership.

Ed said...

There are plenty of sports that rely on stength to an extent, where women can't compete with the standards of men, and yet we all watch the women's matches still. It seems weird to me that football is seen differently....